A Guide To Proper Combat Roleplay

Discussion in 'Rankups and Combat' started by Flashera, Jul 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Flashera

Flashera That Admin Guy Staff Member Showrunner

A Guide for Combat While Roleplaying
    -----------------------------------------
    Combat has a basis in the use of rolling. (/roll {amount of dice}d{how many sides the dice has}{optional modifier}) These mechanics are based on “stats,” which are based on points that you, the player, allocate based on logic, based on how your character develops.

These are as follows:

Melee Attack: The maximum modifier for attacks with a melee weapon, such as a blade or axe.
    Ranged Attack: The maximum modifier for attacks with a ranged weapon, usually a bow or crossbow.
    Magic Attack: The maximum modifier for any attacks utilizing magic.
    Melee Defense: The maximum modifier for defending from attacks with a melee weapon, usually accounted for with a shield or armour.
    Ranged Defense: The maximum modifier for defending from attacks with a ranged weapon.
    Magic Defense: The maximum modifier for defending from magic based attacks.
    Initiative: The modifier for when you attack and for Perception.
    HP: Increases your HP.
    Healing: A modifier for healing another individual.

Proper Rolling:

The combat dice that you utilize is a d15. (/roll 1d15) This is for both attack and defense. If you have a modifier, use it based on the situation. (/roll 1d15+{max modifier}) Ex.) If you have plate armour and someone shoots an arrow at you, of course you roll a max modifier, let’s say +5, 1d15+5. But if you are just wearing normal clothes, your modifier will be no or a lower modifier. You should also use a negative modifier or lower modifier if you are distracted, because that is realistic. In a normal situation, you will use half of your maximum modifier, rounded down if the modifier is odd.

When attacking, you make an emote in local chat before rolling. (* or - at the end of the message.) Once you make the roll, you emote what happens. (Ex.) *I raise my blade for a slash.* (Rolls a 12.) *I manage to slash at my target.*

When you defend against an attack, you emote in a similar manner. (Ex.) *I raise my blade for a parry.* (Rolls a 13.) *I manage to parry the blade.*

Starting a Fight:

You begin a battle with an initiative roll, 1d15, which determines the order by which people take their turns in combat. If modifiers are possessed in the initiative stat, you may use these as well to boost your number. The higher your number, the earlier you go.

Combat follows a turn order:

Player A and Player B roll initiative. Player A gets a higher number, so they win the initiative roll.

Since Player A, they go first. They emote attacking Player B.
    Player A rolls for attack damage.
    Player B rolls for defense value.
    Player B emotes an appropriate reaction to the attack, be it a successful or unsuccessful defense.

After this round, the next round begins- it is Player B's turn to attack, since they lost. If there is a third player or more, they would follow this same rule. If you got the same number as someone else, you can either reroll with the other people, or find a compromise. Once that is done:

Player B emotes attacking Player A.
    Player B rolls for attack damage.
    Player A rolls for defense value.
    Player A emotes an appropriate reaction to the attack.

Rinse and repeat.

HP:

HP, or health points, are your character’s ability to continue fighting, starting at 25 HP. If they reach 0, your character is knocked out, and is essentially at the mercy of whomever it is they are fighting. This, however, does not mean they are dead, only, again, knocked out. Each HP point increases your total HP by one.

The HP you lose is determined by the difference between the attack roll and the defense roll. If this number is 0 or less, you take no damage. (Ex.) Player A rolls an attack of 15. Player B rolls a defense of 12. Player B takes 3 damage, because 15-12 is 3. If Player B rolls equal to Player A’s roll or higher, they would not take damage.

Healing:

If in combat and you can heal another with magic, first aid, herbs, potions, or something similar, you can skip your turn to heal the other player. Out of combat, you simply heal.

When rolling for heal, you roll: 1d10+{Healing Modifier}

Because Healing takes time, you will need to skip a certain amount of turns for various reasons, the amount of which are as follows:

Magic: 2 turns
    Medicine: 3 turns
    Note that if you are healing and are attacked, you will need to do it again, because it is interrupted.

Escaping:

When escaping, you need to roll initiative after an emote. Your enemy must beat this roll with a normal d15. If you lose, you do not escape, otherwise combat will end. You must beat all opponents in this roll if it is logical for them to stop your escape, especially in a corridor or interior.

Perception:

You may use your initiative in perception rolls to see if you notice something in your surroundings.

Alternative system:

If both parties consent, you may also perform combat using purely emotes, keeping basic RP rules in mind. (Known to some as “Honor Combat.”) This is not the default system because not everyone knows HEMA. Even if you use this, you must always roll 1d15 for magic, since it can fail.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.